USA Pro Challenge
Two stages, one destination
Gunnison-Crested Butte is a one-of-a-kind destination for cyclists of all types. It is often said that biking isn't just an activity here it's a way of life.
Crested Butte is hailed as the birthplace of mountain biking, and the famed local trails like the 401 are on every mountain biker's bucket list. Gunnison holds its own in the mountain biking department, too, offering great desert riding at Hartman Rocks as well as providing a great base of operations from which to hit the Monarch Crest Trails.
So it's no surprise that the USA Pro Challenge will be returning to Gunnison Country again this year for stage 2 and stage 3 of its world-renowned race. If your ideal vacation includes going for a long bike ride one day and then cheering on some of the best cyclists in the world the next, Gunnison-Crested Butte is the perfect place to visit in summer 2014.
Want to turn your trip to Gunnison-Crested Butte into an amazing cycling adventure? Check out 7 Ways to Make the Most of Your US Pro Challenge Trip and start planning your vacation today.
USA PRO CHALLENGE ROAD CLOSURES IN GUNNISON COUNTY (8/18-8/20):
- Elk Avenue will be closed on Monday, 8/18 from approximately 9 AM-10 PM in the 200 Block. One way traffic will be able to get through for deliveries during the day on Monday. Elk Avenue will close again on Tuesday, 8/19 from approximately 6 AM-4 PM. Expect other closures and detours in downtown Crested Butte on race day (downtown CB race route map).
- Kebler Pass will be closed Tuesday, 8/19 from 5 AM onward between mile markers 9-25. At 11 AM, Kebler will close to all traffic between Crested Butte and McClure Pass until the races passes through at around 3 PM.
- Gothic Road will be closed between the town of Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte from approximately 2:30-4:30 PM on Tuesday, 8/19. Visitors should expect delays and detours around the Finish Festival in Mt. Crested Butte. Please consider riding your bike up the rec path or taking the free Mountain Express bus from town up to the mountain to cut down on road traffic and congestion. Parking will be extremely limited in Mt. Crested Butte.
- Tomichi Ave. and Virginia Ave. will be closed from Wisconsin Ave. to Iowa Ave. and Main St. will be closed from New York Ave. to Gothic Ave. Georgia Ave. will be closed from Pine St. to Colorado St. starting at 5:30 PM on Tuesday, 8/19 until approximately 5 PM on Wednesday, 8/20. (downtown Gunnison route map)
- Highway 50 Westbound from Salida will close at the intersection with 285 2 hours prior to the race start at 11:25 AM. All traffic traveling west bound that will not make it to Gunnison prior to the road closure will be stopped at Mile Marker 209.5. All traffic on Highway 50 Eastbound must pass Gunnison 30 minutes prior to race start or take the detour on State Highway 114. Colorado Department of Transportation has full details and a timeline for road closures posted. Highway 50 will reopen to regular traffic in both directions 2 hours after the race finishes (between 5 PM and 6 PM).
Sign Up for Newsletter
Get occasional vacation ideas emails from Gunnison-Crested Butte.